Hocus Pocus (1993) – Comedy, Fantasy, Family
Me and Shell have a Halloween tradition of Hocus Pocus time! We annually watch the best Halloween film of all time – do not bother arguing as you are wrong, plain and simple! I am also a wuss when it comes to horror films, so The Sanderson Sisters are about as scary as I get!
You know the plot; you know how great this film is and you know the bits when you well up! But I have to mention a few things,
1. Binx is one of the best film characters ever written and has some brilliant one liners and at the end, well- it gets me every time.
2. Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy and Sarah Jessica Parker are the perfect combination of actresses for the sisters and each one of them could have had the part written for them.
3. Omri Katz and Vinessa Shaw deserved better acting careers after this film.
4. Thira Birch’s Dani is super annoying whilst also being very endearing.
5. I have always wondered if Ice and Jay ever did get down or are they permanent exhibits in the Sanderson Museum now.
And let me stress how important this is, Billy Butcherson is my hero, what an amazing zombie he is, he should have his own film continuing his adventures of being a scary dead being but also so kind and funny and generally awesome!
Scarily Shell pointed out that this film was released the year I finished my GCSE’s, I feel horrifically old now. However, I am rather impressed that the film has aged better than me, well done comedy spooky peeps! A Halloween special, it put a spell on me, 18/20. So, before the night is out, go and watch it and enjoy the fun and frolics and the larger than life performances and be prepared to tear up with Thackery and little sister.